Database links

From: K Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:46:45 -0500

It has been a while since I've needed to work with a database link and apparently there is some detail that I'm missing.

I've created a database link like this:

create public database link xyz_link
connect to myid identified by mypass using 'myserv'

myserv is a database alias in the tnsnames.ora on the server where I've created the link:

myserv =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

       (ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = 123.123.123.12)
(PORT = 1521)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = mysid)
    )
  )

(I've dummied the IP address here, but I have the actual IP address in the file. mysid is also a dummied name but I have the correct one in the file.).

Once it was created I could do like this:

connect myid/mypwd_at_myserv

and got a connection, so that told me that the tnsnames.ora entry was correct and that the listener is running on the remote machine. But when I tried this:

select * from mytable_at_xyz_link

I received the message:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-12666: Message 12666 not found; product=RDBMS; facility=ORA

I tried using oerr to look up ora-12666, but there was no message. I then tried TNS as a facility and got this:

12666, 00000, "Dedicated server: outbound transport protocol different from inbound"
// *Cause: The protocol specified for an externally-identified outbound // connection from a dedicated server (database link) was not the same

//          as that used for the inbound connection. It is not possible for
//          SQL*Net to authenticate a proxy connection that uses a protocol
//          that is different from that which was used for the connection
//          the dedicated server.

// *Action: Specify the same protocol in the SQL*Net connect string or alias
//          for the outbound connection as that used for the inbound
//          connection

But I'm not sure whether this is relevant since the original error was reported as ORA-12666 not TNS-12666.

Hopefully this is enough information. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Received on Mon Feb 21 2000 - 11:46:45 CST