Re: Using Sql Worksheet through a firewall?

From: <ccyr6798_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/02/18

Rich,
I also, thought this would be a simple matter last week. that was before our network guy and I spent 6 hours trying to get it to work. Sqlplus (and I'm assuming SqlWorksheet also) doesn't use IP, it uses SqlNet. the difference is still pretty vague to me, but it means your firewall has to have a sqlnet proxy enabled - that means your firewall vendor needs to have partnered with oracle to add this functionality. I'm enclosing a direct (I swear it!) quote from metalink. We resorted to PCAnywhere... Please keep me in mind if you find a solution. Thanks,
Cary

----In theory, it is possible under certain conditions to configure SQL*Net to pass though a firewall without a SQL*Net application proxy. The ability to do this depends on the nature of the firewall itself (not all firewalls support this), the configuration of the server, and the limitations of the operating system. ---

In article <38AC51ED.51968B51_at_aaepa.com>,   Rich Gilmour <richg_at_aaepa.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> Let me state that I'm no Oracle pro nor a systems pro - I'm a web
> applications programmer doing relatively simple queries to an Oracle
> database through Vignette's StoryServer content publishing system. We
> recently had to move our database to another server, in another city,
> located behind a firewall. The admin guy there tells me there is no
 way
> for me to directly access the database using SQL Worksheet. I hope and
> pray that he is wrong. There are *so* many occasions where I need to
 get
> to the database directly (rather than building a web interface). It's
 my
> feeling that nothing is impossible in computers and that there is a
 way
> for me to access this database.
>
> If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich Gilmour

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CST