Re: Best DBA Tools?

From: attwoody <attwoody_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 01:01:18 GMT

Greetings, Javier,

  As Mr. Scott said in Star Trek V (I think): "The right tool for   the right job"

  There are times I write SQL*Plus scripts, and I think every   experienced Oracle DBA needs to have that ability.

  There are times I use Quest's SQLab Xpert, Instance Monitor,   I/Watch, SharePlex for Oracle - these are very good tools,   very comprehensive. My company bought the SharePak (very expensive,   I must admit), but you get the entire suite of Quest DBA tools.

  There are times I've used Oracle's Windows-based utilities, although,   being somewhat of a UNIX bigot ('nolo contendre'), I find it faster   to whip up a SQL*Plus script or use one I've previously created   and run it on the UNIX server.

  I must admit to not being all that impressed with Oracle's Tuning   Pack, Diagnostic Pack, Change Manager Pack and the like - Oracle isn't   really a tools company, and I think third party vendors fill this   niche much better than Oracle does. To me, it's part of the beauty   of the IT field - there are opportunities for companies to fill   in the blanks that IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, HP, Sun and Red Hat   leave.

   Best wishes to you in your career.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 18 2000 - 19:01:18 CST