Re: Tuning group by sql

From: <kevinator_ca_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:17:58 GMT

Whoa, I've never noticed this analyze command before. What exactly does it do. I'm looking at the sql reference for it now. I see that it collects statistics on the table but why would I want to do that. Please give my an example of how this might improve performance and under what circumstances it is useful. Your help is appriciated.

kevin

In article <38ab780b.44967551_at_news.metro.net>,   mis1965_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> Have you run the ANALYZE command on the table and its indexes? Maybe
> Oracle is using the rule-based optimizer because statistics aren't
> available. HTH
>
> Mike S.
>
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 21:32:07 GMT, kevinator_ca_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >Hello Ora-People,
> > I'm using oracle 8i. I have a query that scans a large table
(about
> >100,000 and growing daily) The query uses a GROUP BY clause. When I
do
> >the explain plan, I noticed that my indexes aren't being used at
all. I
> >have two fields in the group by clause, i created 3 indexes, one with
> >for each field and one for the combination of the two but nothing. If
> >anyone know the best way to the best way to tune a query group by
> >clause, please let me know.
> >
> >Kevin English
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 18 2000 - 12:17:58 CST