Solved - it was old 7.3 dll (Re: Oracle 8 NT Client: Wierdness with App's Icons' "Start in" Property)

From: Rich Travsky <rtravsky_at_REMOVETHISuwyo.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:46:29 -0700

Rich Travsky wrote:

> Walter Dnes wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:32:54 -0700,
> > Rich Travsky <rtravsky_at_REMOVETHISuwyo.edu>
> > wrote in article <38AC9336.21A52584_at_REMOVETHISuwyo.edu>:
> >
> > > Now, we are running these through desktop shortcuts. IF we change the
> > > icon's "Start in" property and point it to the Oracle bin directory,
> > > all works well. As I said, this only happens on some machines, others
> > > work fine with a property pointing to the apps' installed folder.
> > >
> > > Anybody have any idea as to what causes this? Is it ODBC? Some version
> > > of some DLL somewhere? Environment variable? Service Pack?
> > What program (i.e. "*.exe" file) gets launched? My guess is that
> > the PATH variable hasn't been set to include the Oracle bin directory.
> > Setting it in AUTOEXEC.BAT (you're running some variant of Windows?)
> > is necessary to make it global. If the PATH is too long to allow
> > more, have the shortcut point to the bin directory.
>
> Yes, it's in the path; Oracle sticks it there. In fact, on my pc, which
> does the behavior described above, the orant\bin folder is *first* in the
> path!
>
> Go figure.

We just worked it out. There's an Oracle 7.3 dll that gets installed to the system32 folder. Apparently the uninstall wasn't removing it. The dll name is ociw32.dll

The version shows as 7.x and its 36K. The Oracle 8 install has a newer version in the bin folder, 18k and version 7.3.4

Hopefully this will save someone else some head scratching. Received on Fri Feb 18 2000 - 10:46:29 CST