Re: Best DBA Tools?

From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_DELETECAPSusa.net>
Date: 2000/02/17

We have a variety of needs at our site and find that a mix of free TOAD (although we are now evaluating the pay-for version) and Embarcadero's DBArtisan is wonderful. Our 10 year Oracle DBA veteran was a little hesitant at first, but has fallen in love with Embarcadero's DBA product. I do some programming and am over the Oracle development at our site. Although I've been using SQL-Station from Platinum (now CA) for years, I have found myself working in TOAD more and more. I still have SQL*Plus up all the time, I can't do without that. But TOAD seems to have almost everything SQL-Station does plus more. SQL-Navigator has finally caught up to SQL-Station and perhaps surpassed it. But TOAD still has many DBA abilities in it that I find myself needing in a development role. Finally there's Quest Software's other products. I think we are about to buy their Impact and Instance Monitor products. Of course there are plenty of other products, but I have been particularly impressed by the GUI, functionality and ease of use of TOAD, Quest's products in general, and Embarcadero's products in general. I LOVE Embarcadero's modeler, ERStudio. Once they get a true team-based repository in place and UML modeling included, their will be no looking back for me.

Anyway, there's my two cents. Boy that thread from K Stahl sure was funny. You don't get great comedy like that in a stuffy Oracle newsgroup every day!

For what it's worth,

http://www.embarcadero.com
http://www.toadsoft.com
http://www.quest.com