Proc or Function

From: Steven Cardinal <scardinal_at_nospamyahoo.com>
Date: 2000/02/17

Hello,
  We are running 8.0.5EE on Solaris7 as a backend to an Apache webserver using Coldfusion as an application server. I have my developers trying to put as much logic and error checking into Oracle as possible, but we're running into some snags.
  We are using a function to perform logins and create logins (web logins, not Oracle logins). these work fine becase the web page passes parameters and tests for a return value to show success or failure.   However, we want to also have strings returned from the database to poulate web pages. I think functions can only return a single numeric value, is that correct? Also, I've heard that Oracle stored procs do not return data - true?
 I would like to create a proc, as I can in other RDBMS's that basically does:

select NAME, ADRESS, CITY, STATE, ZIP from USERTABLE where NAME = 'JOE'

as
EXECUTE sp_myproc
and have the resulting 5 fields displayed in my web page. (I don't think I can use multiple queries to set session output etc, within the page)

Any tips? Can Oracle do this?

Thanks
Steve Received on Thu Feb 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CST