SQL Question

From: Antonio Doblado <adoblado_at_icot.es>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:13:56 +0100

Hello,

I hace Oracle8i for Windows NT installed, and I want to develop an application using Visual Basic 6. Windows NT and Oracle are English versions, and also Visual Basic.

I have to store some numerical values as varchar2 in the database, and I want to use the dot (".") as decimal separator, without thousand separator.

For example a table named "TOTALS" must contain a field named "TOTAL_PRICE" defined as varchar2 and values like "89.987" or "87678.5685".

I want to know if it is possible to use SELECT SUM sentences using those varchar2 fileds and if Oracle will calculate correctly the result. For example, an SQL sentence like:

SELECT SUM(TOTAL_PRICE) FROM TOTALS will operate correctly and add the two values mentioned before with the next result: 87768.5555

Thank you very much.

Antonio Doblado Romo
adoblado_at_icot.es Received on Wed Feb 16 2000 - 11:13:56 CST