Re: Best DBA Tools?

From: <billmil_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/02/15

We're using the free version of TOAD (http://www.toadsoft.com/) here for general database access and some tuning. They seem to have implemented a lot of features that make the product easy-to-use.

The free TOAD includes a high-level-analysis "Server stats" window (under the tuning menu) which crunches performance data and gives a visual indicator (i.e. a red light) and comments (i.e. "high parse to execute ratio"). This is a nice feature.

Free TOAD also has index and table sizing utilities. I'd like to add to your question, Javier. What do folks think of the Oracle-brand DBA tools? The documentation touts Enterprise Manager pretty heavily, but I'd like to hear people's response.

I initially loaded EM on my PC and found that I couldn't use Net8 EZConfig or Net8 Configuration Assistant because EM expected the Net8 files in one directory whereas the Net8 tools updated them in another directory. Toad didn't work either. I "got past" the problem by getting rid of EM.

To your question, Javier, I'd like I'd like to see what In article <88b31q$i7e$1_at_lola.ctv.es>,
  "Javier" <jmartin.stsa_at_ctv.es> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm looking for two DBA Tools:
> - A SQL Tuner
> - A DBA Administration tool (see what's happening with th DB, and
 perform
> some operations)
> What product do you use? How does it work?
> What do you think is the most important feature?
> Can anyone suggest a product?
> I have tryed Quest software products: Instance monitor, schema
 monitor and
> looks like fine.
> BMC SQL tuner it's OK also.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Feb 15 2000 - 00:00:00 CST