Re: Access vs Oracle

From: <gjlinker_at_geocities.com>
Date: 2000/02/15

The concerns of your Oracle people may be due to application logic that is not enforced by the database. If you know what you're doing though you should be ok.

What you may need is a light weight ad hoc query tool with which you can also change data. Have a look at Oraxcel my Excel addin.

www.oraxcel.com

Regards, Gerrit-Jan Linker

In article <MPG.1310a89dbec34b9098968a_at_news.dircon.co.uk>,   Rohan Vaz <rohan_vaz_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> My users can manage and manipulate their data fairly well in Access
 (with
> Excel).
>
> However, the Oracle-based IT people are campaigning for a ban on the
 use
> of Access by users (mainly knowledge workers), instead they want the
> users to engage the Oracle team in building their 'applications' in
> Oracle - whilst at the same time saying that they cannot begin to
 look at
> any application for 12-18 mths!
>
> My question is, how easy would it be for users to manipulate their
 data
> in Oracle instead of Access? Can they do that without reference to
 the
> Oracle team?
>
> Any insight will be very useful. Thanks.
>
> Rohan Vaz

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Feb 15 2000 - 00:00:00 CST