Re: Access vs Oracle

From: Niall <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: 2000/02/15

"Rohan Vaz" <rohan_vaz_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1310a89dbec34b9098968a_at_news.dircon.co.uk...
> My users can manage and manipulate their data fairly well in Access (with
> Excel).
>
> However, the Oracle-based IT people are campaigning for a ban on the use
> of Access by users (mainly knowledge workers), instead they want the
> users to engage the Oracle team in building their 'applications' in
> Oracle - whilst at the same time saying that they cannot begin to look at
> any application for 12-18 mths!
>
> My question is, how easy would it be for users to manipulate their data
> in Oracle instead of Access? Can they do that without reference to the
> Oracle team?
>
> Any insight will be very useful. Thanks.
>
> Rohan Vaz

It is perfectly possible to use Access as a front end to an oracle database. You wouldn't be likely to be able to do that without reference to the IT team as they'd need a DBA to setup security and probably PL/SQL Packages (equivalent to stored procedures) etc on the server. You'd also want a server to run an application of any significant size. Personal Oracle might be an (unsatisfactory) route to avoid the IT department

So technically it is possible yes. However it doesn't sound at all desirable. From the outside it seems like IT are putting forward technical arguments to bolster a political position - all IT must be centrally controlled, and perhaps also that user community is seeking alternative tools Access in this case, to achieve independence from the IT department.Sounds like your organisation needs to take a good look at the role of IT in the business (the technology I mean not the department) and develop procedures that ensure that in all areas it is business need not political power games that drive technological development. If you have those procedures in place the which is better access or oracle central or local type questions can be better answered.

HTH if it is somewhat idealistic Received on Tue Feb 15 2000 - 00:00:00 CST