Re: SET SERVEROUTPUT ON SIZE - only 1000000 bytes?

From: Hakan Eren <heren_at_home.com>
Date: 2000/02/15

Hi Miguel,

Last week I wrote the following for a friend. This describes how you use utl_file by personal oracle. It is same for the server.

To write to a text file from PL/SQL.

  1. Add the following entry to your init file (Orawin95\database\initxxxx.ora) utl_file_dir = *

   (Here, you define all accessible folders. * means all folders)

2. Try the following in SQL*PLUS. This is writing. Reading from a text file can be done.

DECLARE
  out_file UTL_FILE.FILE_TYPE;
BEGIN
/*
|| open a new file test.txt for writing in d:\temp folder */
  out_file := UTL_FILE.FOPEN('d:\temp', 'test.txt', 'W'); /*
|| Read all records from part table and write to text file in a loop */
  FOR part_rec IN (SELECT part_no, description, lead_time FROM part) LOOP

      UTL_FILE.PUT_LINE(out_file, part_rec.part_no || ',' ||
                                  part_rec.description || ',' ||
                                  TO_CHAR(part_rec.lead_time));
  END LOOP;
/*
|| Close the file
*/
  UTL_FILE.FCLOSE(out_file);
END;
/

You mwy need to add your error-handling routines.

3. It can be customized easily. However there are some restrictions: