OCI: How to deal with 64bit ints on Win32 platform

From: Richard Otter <Richard_Otter_at_Bio-Rad.com>
Date: 2000/02/14

I want to be able to DML and queries using 64 bit integers on Windows NT.

The SQLT_INT datatype won't accept a int length of 8 bytes without giving the error-
"ORA-01460 Unimplemented or unreasonable conversion requested."

So I use the SQLT_VNU (OCINumber) datatype and use the OCINumberToInt routine which does do 64 bit conversions- even on a 32 bit platform.

My problem is that in order to use OCINumber types, the database must have the Oracle Objects option installed. Since this is my only use of objects, it seems a waste and a big expense for our customers. People have told me about using character strings to deal with >32 bit integers, but this sounds so kludgey.
Any other ideas?

Using OCI.lib and dll from the Oracle version 8.1.5 server for NT CD-ROM.

Direct replies, in addition to posts, would be appreciated. Thanks

Richard_Otter_at_bio-rad.com Received on Mon Feb 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CST