Re: ORA-12560 : protocol adaptater error

From: <victhomas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:08:44 GMT

Strangely, on my NT 4.0 server, simply setting the ORACLE_SID environment variable like this did not work. So I hacked the registry with Regedit.exe, at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0, and added a string key named ORACLE_SID with the appropriate SID. This worked.

The clue to what's going on is to look at the SQLNet.log file that gets generated when failing to connect. That's how I found that when connecting via svrmgrl Oracle was trying to use a SID value of "ORCL" (presumably by default), even though no "ORCL" SID existed on the server.

In article
<38983B09.EA6AC7D2_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,   Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> When I received this error, I didn't have my
ORACLE_SID set properly.
> This happened to me in NT so I issued "set
ORACLE_SID=ORCL" and
> everything worked fine.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> "Nicolas L." wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > After rebooting the server we have this error
: ORA-12560 : protocol
> > adaptater error.
> > The listener seems to run normaly but we
can't connect as INTERNAL and
> > restart DB instance.
> >
> > Do anyone have another idea than a new
installation of the server ???

> > Nicolas L.
> >
> > BTW : after reading the news i've checked the
permission of the temp file in
> > /var/tmp it seems to be ok.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Feb 13 2000 - 17:08:44 CST