Strange problem submitting form with OWS3

From: Anna Wilkins <anna.wilkins_at_petersons.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:14:17 GMT

Hi,

I have a form that is created out of the database using PL/SQL and then upon submission is sent to a PL/SQL procedure via OWS3 that does processing on the data, saves it, and then returns the user to another screen. The user can also return to this form numerous times before submitting the data.

The problem is this. A user can put data in just fine the first time, but upon subsequent updates, they get the Request Failed screen, with this error: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error. After playing with the data and the form a bit, this is what seems to be problem:

There is a textarea box and sometimes textbox's on the form. If I delete the information in the textarea, the form will submit ok. Then if I gradually put the data back in, I hit a character limit on the textarea before it will stop saving. One experience was 32 characters, another was 50 (I think). This is very puzzling b/c the parameter on the procedure is simply defined as a VARCHAR2. No limits. The error is also occuring as the data is being put into the procedure....the processing never gets inside the procedure. This was checked by putting an htp.p ('in procedure'); line at the very beginning of the procedure. It never gets that far.

I can think of no reason why I should be getting the numeric or value error. I'm using post, not get, so I shouldn't be running up against the query string length limitation.

Any suggestions? Known bugs? etc?

ANY help is appreciative. This bug only shows up in our production system, not our test one, and as far as I know and can tell, they're the same version (3.0.1.0.1) so it's even more puzzling.

Thanks,
--

Anna Wilkins /-)/\//\//-)
anna.wilkins_at_petersons.com
Oracle Web Developer
Peterson's

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 11 2000 - 15:14:17 CST