Re: DBA tutorial

From: Bernard Polarski <bpolarsk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:20:58 GMT

Well, this is a good question :

Is there any method to learn the job? There is no sequential lessons or linear way to start learning. Your are recognised DBA when you are able to cope with the problems generated by the DB in your society. But not all societies use Oracle the same way. You may live years without encountering distributed instances, hot backups or raw devices ...

Start by mastering install and backups, as, if you loose your DB then you will not be considered as DBA, then declare yourself DBA and do your best to solves request from users. The problems you encounter will mostly decide of your field of expertise. By the time, these fields will cover more and more vast areas so that you will be considered as strong DBA. But becoming 'The' DBA is a life efford.

Togother with some friends, we have started in Marsh 19999 a project called 'smenu', whith the ambition to classify all usual problems we met as DBA's and for each one, bring a solution. There are one time problems to which we apply one time solution. Next, a DBA must be able to diagnose its DB in general and remove contentions if it is in the reach of its hardware. This is usually called 'tunning' but is in fact just proper configuration. The word tunning should be reserved to the action of finding the best way when there are multiple solutions.

In this respect the learning curve for a Junior DBA should be :

1)Learn how to install and became the King of the listener. 2)Master backups (do no leave any place for imprecisions, you live is in danger!)
3)Configure you DB to remove any contention. (people say : 'you, the expert...')
4)Tune (Improve the SQL of others ==> at this stage, you already write books)

Surf the Web, buy books, I do not know any other way.

You will find smenu at : "http://www.geocities.com/bpolarsk", but we will soon move it to our own domain and smenu will become totally anonymous.

The best link to Oracle resources is probably "http://www.oracle- home.com"

--
B.Polarski

http://www.geocities.com/bpolarsk
Email : bpolarsk_at_yahoo.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 11 2000 - 09:20:58 CST