Re: Oracle 8i install problem

From: <steyaert_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:56:47 GMT

You also want to be sure to wipe away the entire previous installation. If you as oracle attempt to write over a file created by root, you will not be allowed. When you redo an Oracle installation, it is definitely recommended that you rm -rf $ORACLE_HOME/*

(-rf is recurse through all directories and f for forcing the delete.)

Then start from scratch.

Terry Steyaert
steyaert_at_my-deja.com.

In article <38A2D6BC.B16D21A_at_fast.no>,
  kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no> wrote:
> I'm well away with my 8i install now (on Linux Red Hat 6.1), but
> unfortunately I did it as root at first,
> then realised I was being naughty, so I've started again as oracle,
and
> now when I press Next on the File Locations screen I get a dialog
with a

> picture of an alarm bell ringing and the message "The target area
> /home/oraInventory cannot be used because it is in an invalid state".
> Needless to say, the installer prog will let me do anything else now.
>
> So what does it mean (I guess it's because I aborted a previous
> installation), and how do I fix it?
>
> thanks,
>
> - Kev

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 11 2000 - 08:56:47 CST