migrating database between servers...

From: Derrius Marlin <dmarlin_at_biostat.ufl.edu>
Date: 2000/02/10

We currently have an Oracle 7.3.4 production database (db backend to a web app) running under NT4 on one server but need to migrate it to a new NT4 server (better, faster hardware) that's just been setup.

I don't want to simply clone the database from one machine to another because I'd like to change a few things about how the database is setup such as, rename the datafiles, store the datafiles on a RAID 5 partition but store the redo logs and indexes elsewhere. I'd also want to separate out just the tables associated with one specific schema instead of moving over the other objects associated with some other schemas being hosted by that production machine.

What's the best way to migrate the DB from one machine to the other but still allow the flexibility of redefining the storage of some of the schema objects?

Thanks,
--

                                            -Derrius

Derrius Marlin, Systems Manager University of Florida dmarlin_at_biostat.ufl.edu Division of Biostatistics http://www.biostat.ufl.edu/~dmarlin (352) 392-8446