Re: Datawarehouse Load Performance?

From: Stephen Darlington <stephen_at_zx81.org.uk.nospam>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:29:14 -0000

That'll teach me to rush writing a question... Thanks for your responses one and all, but I think I wrote the wrong question!

What we have are 1.2 million rows in the main table in the source (normalised) database, I suspect it's going to turn out to be four or five times that in the fact table. The loading, in this case, means a lot of PL/SQL crunching through it all doing some fairly complex stuff (tree traversing, date ranges). Even if it were an option, and it isn't, I don't think coding it in Pro*C would help since it's all data manipulation rather than arithmetic.

I guess this most closely mirrors "Transforming into load record images" and "Migrating from the legacy system to DDW system" (pg 217, The Datawarehouse Toolkit, Kimball). I gather that the processing we're doing is unusually complex. We're not able to do any transformations on the source system, in fact one of the criteria is that we impact them as little as possible.

The main question is what level of performance can I expect in the transformation? Are my figures way off? But the other comments have already been useful.

Thanks again,
--> Stephen

     Stephen Darlington (http://www.zx81.org.uk)
                 "Never put a sock in a toaster"