Oracle processes size

From: Alla Gribov <alla.gribov_at_metatel.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 22:51:37 GMT

Hi all;

I am experiencing a problem that I've never seen before, but, on the other hand, I've never run Oracle on Linux before.

I have Oracle 8.0.5 on RedHat 6.1 and when I look at the sizes of my processes, they are just huge.

For example, I am running a lot of tests, that resulting in a lot of inserts. Right after I start Oracle, ora_dbw0_<SID> process grabs about 4M of memory and starts growing. After I insert about 50,000 records, the size of ora_dbw0_<SID> is 103M. Is this normal???

When I open up a SQL Net connection, it might start from 4M. Then I do simple "select count(*) from table" (about 200,000 rows in this table) and oracle<SID> (LOCAL_NO) process is anywhere between 15 and 25M.

Is this a known problem for Oracle on Linux, or is it a known problem of Oracle 8?

One more thing - I am using DBMS_PIPE intensively (might this cause any problems?)

I have a feeling that I am missing something very simple in my configuration. Can anybody help, please!!!!!!

The parameters that I am using for this instance are as follows:

db_file_multiblock_read_count = 22;

db_block_buffers = 51200                           -- db_block_size = 2K
shared_pool_size = 104857600                       -- 100M
sort_area_size = 1048576                           -- 1M
sort_area_retained_size = 1048576                  -- 1M
log_checkpoint_interval = 999999
processes = 200
log_buffer = 1048576                               -- 1M
open_cursors = 500
optimizer_mode = choose

Also, please let me know, if some of these parameters seem strange to you. I've always been an Oracle developer, but now I am a DBA too.

Thanks a lot for you help Received on Mon Feb 07 2000 - 16:51:37 CST