Re: PROC Records Count

From: Sarah Officer <officers_at_aries.tucson.saic.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 11:30:48 -0700

Thank you. I found a note on this in the Oracle 8 docs, but it doesn't quite do what I want. I'd like to know how many rows were returned BEFORE I fetch them so that I can allocate accordingly. Apparently on a fetch, this value only tells how many rows have been retrieved by the latest fetch command, not by the select.

oracle docs say "
  For INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, and SELECT INTO statements, sqlca.sqlerrd[2]
  records the number of rows
  processed. For FETCH statements, it records the cumulative sum of rows processed.

  When using host arrays with FETCH, to find the number of rows returned
  by the most recent iteration, subtract the   current value of sqlca.sqlerrd[2] from its previous value (stored in
  another variable). In the following example, you   determine the number of rows returned by the most recent fetch: "

I could declare my array to be an arbitrary length, and then fetch N records at a time, but this is still inconvenient for allocating. Is there a way to find out?

Thanks,

Sarah Officer
officers_at_aries.tucson.saic.com