DNS resolution

From: Mike West <west.mike_at_burlington.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:27:11 -0500

Hope someone can help me out with this. First off, I don't know Oracle but based on what's happenning, it looks like that might be the culprit.

I have an HP 9000 running HP-UX that has been a DNS server, running BIND. This server is also running Oracle. We have been moving our DNS services off of our Unix servers and placing it on NT servers. After starting up DNS on the NT platform, using DHCP, all workstations are now pointing to NT servers for primary and secondary DNS resolution. All NT servers are now pointing at NT servers for DNS resolution. The resolv.conf file was changed on our Unix servers to now resolve DNS from NT servers, this includes the Unix server that is running BIND and Oracle. Everybody was resolving all hosts just fine...Unix servers, NT servers, desktop workstations....So, now that everybody is pointing to the right place and resolving fine, I decide I can shutdown BIND on this Oracle server. But when I did, everybody had problems connecting to the database. It appears as thought Oracle was using something other than the system resolv.conf to decide how to resolve hosts. Or at least that's what it looks like. With BIND off, database connections were taking 3 or 4 minutes. It looked like a timeout and then try the secondary kinda thing. I restarted BIND on the Oracle server and the delay went away. What in the world is happenning? Thanks in advance...

--
---

Mike
west.mike_at_burlington.com Received on Mon Feb 07 2000 - 12:27:11 CST