Re: database links and ora 00933

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 15:36:25 GMT

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:26:11 -0500, "David Spaisman" <david.spaisman_at_compaq.com> wrote:

>hello:
>
>we are trying to plod through the set up of symmetric replication or
>master-master replication.
>
>We are working on Oracle 8.0.4 running on NT 4.0, sp4.
>
>We have modified the init.ora file db_domain and global_name = TRUE. There
>is no problem with private links but in trying to set up a public database
>link we are incurring the following error when we try:
>
>'create public database link fles.cpqcap-prod01.cpqcap where the sid is fles
>, the server is cpqcap-prod01 and
>the domain is cpqcap.
>
>The error is:
>
>create public database link fles.cpqcap-pod01.cpqcap
>*
>
>ora-00933: sql command not properly ended.
>
>Oracle doesn't like the dash in the server name and is looking for an
>underscore in stead. While we can't change our server names to remve the
>dash, hopefully thee is a solution somehow.
>
>1) Has any one ever encountered this?
>
>2) Is there a workaround since the naming onvention used for all server
>names in our organization uses a dash?
>
>3) As we are working on NT, has any one encountered any other problems we
>should be aware of in setting up
>master-to-master replication between two NT servers?
>
>Thanks. Any information that can be provided will be appreciated.
>
>David Spaisman

  1. Yes, officially dashes are not allowed in domain names (I verified this reading the official documents), on some OS-es it works, on others it doesn't. Oracle chose to abide by the rules. In my case I couldn't use att-unisource.com.
  2. The only work-around I could come up with is have an alias in the domain name server.
  3. Depends on where those two NT servers are. An NT server in a different timezone (Netherlands vs. Pennsylvania) can be a problem if the remote system unexpectedly goes down, when the European system starts synchronizing.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker Received on Mon Feb 07 2000 - 09:36:25 CST