Re: Russian Hackers Offer Databases

From: Brendan Reynolds <brenreyn_at_indigo.ie>
Date: 2000/02/06

I checked out that URL, George, and I'm genuinely shocked. Your state governments have been doing something that I believe would be illegal in every EC country.

Of course, EC law isn't perfect either. Last I heard (and it's possible that things could have changed, because I don't follow this stuff very closely) the law covered only personal information stored electronically. Some organizations were working around it by transferring their lists to manual card indexes.

Last time this subject came up, someone requested more information and I posted an URL. I can't remember the URL now, but I found it by doing a Web search on 'Data Protection Act'. I believe the URL I posted, which had a lot of information on the Act, was one of the UK university Web sites.

--
Brendan Reynolds
brenreyn_at_indigo.ie