Re: Super Newbie Question...

From: Brian W. Chester <bwchester_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 18:51:21 GMT

Hi,

On your NT box you need to load SQLnet or NET8 (preferably NET8) and the I would recommend the Oracle ODBC drivers. Once the NET8 is loaded use NET8easyconfig to set up the Oracle connect string. It is possible that you will have to modify the TNSNAMES.ORA file manually as some versions of the NET8 easyconfig do not work. If this is the case you will have to look at the NET8 documentation for exact syntax to use.

When you have the NET8 configured, you then use the ODBC manager to create a SYSTEM dsn using the Oracle driver. You can call the dsn what ever you want but must use the connect string you used when naming your NET8 connection string.

If you are really stuck with the configuration after trying this, then drop me a note at bwchester_at_home.com and I'll try to help further when time permits.

Brian.