Re: Mass delete (about 100.000 records) ??

From: sack <news_at_webpre.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2000 01:58:36 GMT

Assuming just selecting the 100.000 records doesn't take by far that long, my guess would be that you have some foreign key constraints (with cascade on delete) on other tables' columns which reference the table you want to delete from. And one or more of these other tables do not have the foreign key constrained columns indexed.

Thomas Kyte posted a neat script which checks for exactly that, when I had a similar problem. If you think the foreign keys might be your problem, and he doesn't answer directly to you send me an email and I can send it to you on Monday.

Christian