Re: backup and recovery in data warehouse

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 10:04:35 -0800

You can cold-backup any subset of tablespaces you want. As long as you use archivelog mode, there is no requirement to backup the whole thing associated with the type of backup being used (hot/cold).

For instance, if you have two tablespaces, but only enough time to back up one each night, you can back up the first one one night and the other one the next night. When it comes time to resore/recover, you restore the two nights' backups, then roll forward until they are consistent.

The question I have is: why would the user want to use cold backups instead of hot backups?
--
Jeremiah