Re: good for the garden

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 16:34:10 GMT

There are some good points here, but many seem to reflect an lack of attention to docs...

Since Linux ( like many Unix setups) has many, many variants ( glibc versions, kernel components, etc) it is not surprising that the installation can be somewhat complex - particularly for what is basically a trial, beta level, port ...

 For NT ( and other windows clients),the same program used to install Oracle products ( Orainst.exe) , also uninstalls them...

As an Oracle administrator for 10 years or so, the quality and integrity of the company is not in question to me, but, as a complex piece of software, I realize that it is not Oracle's fault if I fail to carefully learn about its environmental needs...

No software is perfect ( Microsoft, Red Hat and IBM are no exceptions) but Oracle certainly does not seem to deserve such a broad ( altho based on limited exposure ) rant....

Just my 2c

John Greco
Oracle DBA/Application Developer