Re: one instance three databases

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 00:18:20 -0500

huseyinsikici_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi, I am tryint to have "one" oracle instance to manage three
> databases. (I know instances are proceses, and databases are files). I
> am trying to do development on an RedHat linux box; when I run an
> application server, three database "instances" (6 processes each) is
> slowing things down. I am not sure there is a solution to this, all
> docs I saw suggest otherwise. One thing that really is bothersome is
> that I would be able to do this on Sql Server. Should I get Oracle
> Server Personal Edition for development? Thanks.
>
> -B
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

In Oracle speak what you want is one instance with three schemas.

In plain english a schema equates to the owner of a set of database objects.

In Oracle database objects can be accessed by three types of user:

  1. the owner
  2. those the owner has expicitly granted permission
  3. Us ugly 800 pound gorillas known as DBAs.

hth

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one. Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 23:18:20 CST