How to create multiple instances

From: Jim Lyons <jlyons_at_uts.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 22:11:43 GMT

I am trying to create a second instance on the same server. I want an entirely new database, separate global areas, separate data disks, log disks, etc. The idea is to have a test database, exactly like the production version, which I can bring up and down at will, test with, stage to, etc.

A separate server is not an option. The two instances will run independently of one-another. Say, the production one is SID=PROD, the test one, SID=TEST.

I have tried this by creating initPROD.ora and initTEST.ora files. I then tried to parallel all the various files I have for PROD, such as the pfile, etc. But when I set the SID to TEST and tried to create it using the crdbtest.sql and crdb2test.sql programs, copied and modified from crdbprod.sql and crdb2prod.sql, running svrmgrl, it didn't work.

What is the normal way of doing this? I've got a couple of DBA books but they don't seem to deal with this. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Jim Lyons

--

Jim Lyons                     |  Network Systems Analyst
Entertech - The IC2 Institute | 512-482-0273, ext. 269 University of Texas at Austin | jlyons_at_weblyons.com http://www.weblyons.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Feb 02 2000 - 16:11:43 CST