In Memory Databases Vs. Oracle

From: Hello <Hello_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/02/01

I would like to solicit opinions and experiences people have with the new "In Memory" Databases versus
the standard RDBM such as Oracle.
One example of an in-memory database is Times Ten. We are an Oracle shop and have Engineers evaluating Times Ten for an upcoming project, and I would like to know if anyone has experience or has benchmarked/tested the two together. Looking at their Web Site, I have some doubts as to whether they are worth the added time and learning curve to deploy. In particular, it appears that the greatest benefit (obviously) comes from basic selecting of the data, and
the performance gain with inserts and updates isn't really THAT spectacular. Additionally, for recovery purposes, they appear to archive data to disk (like the redo logs pushing data to archive logs), and I wonder if their performance stats take this into consideration.

Thanks in advance for any experiences or opinions. Received on Tue Feb 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CST