Re: Oracle Developer Questions

From: Remco Blaakmeer <remco_at_rd1936.quicknet.nl>
Date: 2000/01/31

In article <s9bdftto5io174_at_corp.supernews.com>,

        <gradxv_at_excite.com> writes:
> I am a software developer doing comparative research on DBMS systems. I am
> interested in the following items:
>
> 1) Application Database Security: As a developer of a database application
> (ISV) using Oracle 8 as a backend database, can I secure ALL parts of the
> database from ALL users of the Oracle 8 server? This would include
> administrators, etc. Only my application would have the password(s) to
> access the database including database schema, stored procedures, etc. I am
> interested in securing parts of the application database so that it can be
> accessed via only my application GUI. Two reasons for doing this are: (a)
> this information is very similar to source code (it is not the data entered
> by the application user), and (b) for support-related issues, it helps
> reduce the possibility that some rogue Oracle user will damage the
> inner-workings of the application. Can Oracle 8 do this? If so, to what
> extent?

You can do this, but it will only protect your data against an ordinary user. A DBA will always be able to access the data. The only way to prevent anybody from reading the data is to use some form of strong encryption, but I have no experience in that area.

Another way to pervent direct access to the database: instead of installing your application on every client, use an application server. That way, only the application server (and your DBA) needs to have access to the database and you can deny access based on IP address.

Remco

--
rd1936:  5:40pm  up 22 days, 22:20,  6 users,  load average: 1.87, 1.47, 1.56