Re: hot Oracle 8 / NT backups

From: Niall <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: 2000/01/31

"Christoph Gehrke" <christoph.gehrke_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:86v6vr$4hf$1_at_news04.btx.dtag.de...
> run your RDBMS in ArchiveLog mode
>
> with at command (NT) start a script using the servermanger (svrmgrl,
> svrmgr23...(oracle)) with following commands
>
> connect internal [pw]
> alter tablespace <name> begin backup;
> ....(all tablespaces)
> exit;
>
> then windows:
> copy all nessesary files: data, system, redologs.... to backup directory
>
> again servermanager
> connect internal [pw]
> alter tablespace <name> end backup;
> ....(all tablespaces)
> exit;

Curiously I have just written a script to do this. It is almost identical to Christophs but with a different ordering

my script does

alter tablespace <name> begin backup;
!ocopy80 <datafile(s)> <backup directory> alter tablespace <name> end backup;

and repeat for ALL tablespaces. The reason for this is that the backup of the datafiles can take a long time and potentially a lot of redo will get written. You can minimise this to some extent by having each tablespace in backup mode for as short a time as possible.

Also Christoph didn't mention a controlfile backup which is achieved by alter database backup controlfile to <filename>;

You can schedule the script to run whenever by creating a command script and using AT. Received on Mon Jan 31 2000 - 00:00:00 CST