Re: DBWR

From: Eugene Firyago <efiryago_at_bisys.com>
Date: 2000/01/30

DBWR (database writer) only WRITES to the database files. It happens everytime
a database checkpoint event occures. DBWR keeps database buffer cache "clean" by taking "dirty" (modified) buffers and physicaly putting them into datafiles. DBWR is a background process (among others: SMON, PMON, etc).

Data reading from the database files is done by a server process spawned by a user session with dedicaded model or a pre-spawned by an instance with MTS model. This is a foreground process. Such a server process also writes data to database buffer cache as needed.

See the Oracle Server Concepts manual for detailes.

Hope it helps,
Eugene.