Re: Linux: (trial) oracle installation

From: Paulo Rodrigues <prod16_at_esoterica.pt>
Date: 2000/01/29

In article <86qeuq$1s7u$1_at_ulysses.noc.ntua.gr>, Sofia wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I am trying to install an evaluation copy of oracle on
>a freshly-installed Red Hut Linux.
>
>In the oracle CD, there is an .html file/form which guides you to
>obtain a configuration key (it requires your details) via
>Oracle's web site. This part worked fine and I obtained the
>required key.
>
>When I tried to run oracle installer from the (oracle) cd,
>it asked for the key. But I can not enter the key! It's kind of a
>stupid problem - I can not write on the field where the key
>is supposed to be entered! I tried writing it anyway (although
>the cursor did not respond), but it didnt work.
>
>Has anyone encountered the same problem? What can I do?
>
>Cheers,
> Sofia

i had the same problem, along with a few others... first, i heard from someone that worked at oracle that this version will only run (hmm) on RH 5.2...
im running slack4 with glibc2.07; i managed to install the DB by copying /cdrom/orainst to a dir on my HD, edited unix.stp, find the block of code that checks for the key (search for passwd) and comment it out (with /* */). good luck
paulo

--
Paulo Rodrigues
OGMA SA