Re: Questions regarding port of Sybase to Oracle

From: Carl C. Federl <cfederl_at_mediaone.net_removethis>
Date: 2000/01/29

I have not used either DB-Lib or Oracle equivalent of Oracle Call Interface (OCI), so I cannot address these questions.

Try oracle's web site where there is a conversion guide.

On 29-Jan-2000, chris_at_infinitum.madhouse (Chris J/#6) wrote:

>  - In Dejanews, I've read that Oracle can't do full online database

> dumps, but it can do "tablespace" dumps. As we make once
> daily DB-Dumps and hourly transaction dumps to keep a
> remote standy system up to date, would tablespace dumps
> suffice? What is a tablespace, and how does it relate
> to the database?
You can continue to make daily on-line database backups. Best is to use the Oracle Enterprise Manager. Sybase transaction dumps have the equivalent under Oracle called archive logs. These archive logs are created automatically and do not need to be scheduled. > - I'm assuming most of Sybase's Transact-SQL can go over without
> too many problems. Are there any caveats to watch out
> for?

Very bad assumption. Look in the Sybase documentation for the Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS). Set the flagger to true and then run all you SQL with no execute. Whatever is flagged will probably not be supported by Oracle and I think you will find a lot.

Any Stored Procedures or Triggers will probably need to be re-written.

Oracle does have "User Defined Functions" that you could write to simulate the Transact-Sql equivalent. Received on Sat Jan 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CST