Invalid Procedures

From: Chad Sheley <csheley_at_usa.capgemini.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:33:31 -0600

Can anyone tell me what mechanism makes packages or procedures invalid when a different object that a package or procedure depends upon changes? Is there anyway of disabling it?

Or, does anyone know of a "make"-like utility for keeping my packages and procedures valid? Or how can I compile a package or procedure .sql script from the command line and then use a makefile?

BTW, I'm running Oracle 8.05 on an NT box.

Maybe I should describe what's happening...

I have packageA which makes reference to a constant in packageB that is used by many other packages. When I recompile packageB, some Oracle process makes packageA invalid.

Now, this is an oversimplification of my problem as I have a team of developers that have created what seems to be a web of package and procedure dependencies. I've suggested reorganizing the packages to reduce these development environment problems, but I also told them I'd investigate other options.

Any suggestions?

Chad Sheley
Senior Consultant
Cap Gemini
Des Moines, IA Received on Fri Jan 28 2000 - 09:33:31 CST