Re: cASE sensitive search via ODBC ???

From: <moerkd_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:59:36 GMT

In article <38919b4b$0$15488_at_lithium.news.uk.uu.net>,   "Freddy Kristiansen" <fk_at_dsinet.dk> wrote:
> Using Oracle 8i or 7.x i am having trouble searching for 'anderson' -
if he
> is placed as 'Anderson' in the database !
>
> Is there any way to create a non-case sensitive index or to make a
SELECT
> statement which can give me all 'Anderson' or 'anderson' sorted
correctly ?

> Thanks
>
> Freddy

Hallo Freddy,

in Oracle 8i it is possible to create function Indexes which means, an index on a text column with upper(column_name). With this option you can create an index where all words are in uppercase. if you select in uppercase there should be no problem. In Oracle 7.x.x you may write a trigger which fills a column in uppercase. Put an index on that column and use this column for your select. Another possibility is ORACLE Context option, which can retrieve unstructured text from a column. With that option you can search with any case.

HTH Detlev

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jan 28 2000 - 08:59:36 CST