Re: Oracle v7.3 Application with Oracle v8 Client and Server

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:46:41 -0800

GHouck wrote:

> When attempting to connect on an Oracle Client v8, with a (Pro*C)
> application that was built under v7.3 (Pro*C 2.3), we keep
> receiving an ORA-3121 error (no interface driver).
>
> Is it possible to use the v7.3 application in the v8 environment,
> or does it need to be built under v8?
>
> I suppose the question is whether we can also have SQL*Net 2.3
> running (or v8 equivalent) in the Oracle v8 environment?
>
> Thanks
>
> Geoff Houck
> systems hk
> hksys_at_teleport.com
> http://www.teleport.com/~hksys

Check out the client side network; it probably relies on something in [oracle_home]\network, whereas the V8 of the network client installs in [oracle_home]\net80.

Two possible solutions:
* copy all configuration files from the working to the   expected directory (eg from [oracle_home]\network\admin\*.ora   to [oracle_home]\net80\admin\)
* introduce an environment variable that points to the directory where your network files reside: for Win'95/98/NT this is the   registry: tns_admin, value: [oracle_home]\network\admin.

It may also be that your app relies on V2.3 network s/w; in that case, install the network interface on your client as well (will work with, and
next to V8). The more I think about it, the more I tend to try this first.

Hth,
--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle Received on Fri Jan 28 2000 - 16:46:41 CST