Re: Some advice please

From: DI Karl Heinz Hörmann <kh.hoermann_at_penta.at>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 00:10:34 +0100

Paul Gallimore schrieb in Nachricht
<948905174.5204.0.nnrp-14.c2dedae5_at_news.demon.co.uk>...

>My company intends to build a web site with a huge database at the back
end.
>That is, it is our intention to create a database that is capable of
storing
>records for a huge number of site visitors; say, 30,000,000 people - but
who
>really knows.

>I have been advised that Oracle is probably the best db software to use
>because of the size of db required and because Oracle is robust enough for
>the job.

could well by right ;-))

> My questions then, are these:
>1. Which Oracle products would you recommend? Would it be Oracle 8i and Web
>DB?

intuitively I'd suggest 8i ...

>2. Which OS platform is preferable? Is NT stable enough, will it cope? Or,
>must it me Unix or Linux?

whats your availability need - NT's average of somewhat like 75+% or higher - up to 100% ?
when thats the case watch out for UNIX or even high availability issues like IBM's HACMP, HP's (?I think) MC/guard, the Sun solution or the failsafe NT-gadget (don't know all the product names of hand) ... in case ask your local ORACLE rep's ...

>3. For various reasons it may be that we ask a non-programmer to accomplish
>this task. That is, RTFM and get on with it. Is this feasible, or is it an
>impossible task for a mere mortal? I need to know this, since it may well
be
>me who has to read the manuals and do the job.

sorry, can't help on this one ...

regards Received on Thu Jan 27 2000 - 17:10:34 CST