Re: Reorg?

From: DI Karl Heinz Hörmann <kh.hoermann_at_penta.at>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 00:02:21 +0100

Merla wrote <388F1DE2.8754A6FE_at_us.ibm.com>...
>Hi,
>I'm new to Oracle and have a newbie question. I come from a DB2
>background want to know how to reorg a table with Oracle. Or if reorgs
>aren't done. I've looked in several manuals under REORG, SPACE,
>DATABASE, TABLE and can't find any information on how to reclaim space
>on a table that's heavily used (insert, update, delete kind of use).

Supposed you set the correct storage parameters for a given table and your records do not outgrow the size of the data blocks, you can control this on data-block level with PCTFREE & PCTUSED ...

refer to the DBA-Manual, Chapter 10 - Guidelines for Managing Schema Objects

once you did outgrow your expectations in terms of extents, you could easily reorganize by exporting the table using the 'compress extents = Y' option - truncate or drop the table, establish the correct storage parameters by alter the truncated table with *or* recreate the dropped table using the right (or better) parameters - reimport the data with 'ignore errors due to object existance = Y'

for import & export refer to Oracle8 Utilities, Part I -

hope this helps ... Received on Thu Jan 27 2000 - 17:02:21 CST