NLS_LANG

From: Morten Primdahl <morten_at_caput.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:28:27 +0100

Hi.

Are the other ways to set NLS_LANG than by setting an environment variable? First, I had
NLS_LANG=Danish.WE8ISO8859P1 which should allow special characters. In SQL Plus, however, I'd experience the following:

SQL> select 'ø' from dual;

'

-
?

If I set NLS_LANG="" instead, SQL Plus gives the result I want, namely

SQL> select 'ø' from dual;

'

-

The problem is, when I try to access Oracle through JDBC. I can insert, update, retrieve data which contains ø,æ,å etc. But if I try to search on a special character, like
select stuff from table where stuff like '%å%';

I get no results. Ie. the encoding seems to work fine when I insert, update and select through JDBC, but if I explicitly use a special character in the search- string, something gets messed up.

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks

Morten

--

Morten Primdahl		Caput ApS	Tel +45 33 12 24 42
morten_at_caput.com	Nygade 6	Fax +45 33 91 24 42