Re: How to increase MAX EXTENTS?

From: <steyaert_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:55:37 GMT

The other two replies were based on increasing the number of extents for your current rollback segment. My main question is whether you blew out your rollback segment due to a single transaction or due to age? On our old, 6.0 Oracle systems, Rollback segments (and everything else) are never cleaned up. In the case of rollback segments, whatever queries you did, filled the rollback segment and unless you commit'ed or rollback'ed, the rollback segment kept all that room as used, continuously growing. We eventually got to export the database, delete the database, recreate the database and import the database every other month.

One thing we found that you can do, and if your problem is limited to the rollback segment is you can:

  1. Edit initSID.ora. You will find a line like "rollback_segs = (rb1, rb2, ...)" Remove the troublesome rollback segment. (You cannot remove them all.)
  2. Shutdown and restart the database.
  3. Enter sqldba or svrmgrl, drop the rollback segment and recreate it.
  4. re-edit the initSID.ora file, and replace the rollback segmnt. If you want to recreate several, go to step 2.
  5. Shutdown and restart the database to use your new, small, rollback segment.

If you did a giant transaction and it created the huge segment, or it was just entropy, keeping your segment large, this will take care of it. Maybe forever, maybe for a little while. When you recreate the public rollback segment, you can also use the other hints, and change its storage parameters.

Terry Steyaert
steyaert_at_my-deja.com

In article <2Hnj4.67$Y45.181899776_at_news.telia.no>,   "Roger Arnesen" <why.should_at_you.care.invalid> wrote:
> I have run into a problem with an app that uses Personal Oracle
7.3.x, which
> is an errormessage saying that I have reached the max extents allowed
(121)

> The segment_type is "ROLLBACK", the segment name is "RB2"
>
> How do I fix this??
>
> Roger

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 26 2000 - 11:55:37 CST