two different explain plans

From: SC <s_c_99_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:38:02 +0000

I have been asked to identify efficiency of a SQL statement. I am trying to change few things and see the execution plan.

Well, the good news is that I can successfully use sql_trace and tkprof utilities to get an output. But the bad news is that I am getting confused with how to compare two different execution plans of same query?

They still are doing full table scans.
One uses sorts and hash joins.
and other uses index joins.

what is the difference between hash join and index join? How does sorting make difference? How can I interpret and compare two execution plans on same query?

Thanks.

S_C_99_at_hotmail.com Received on Wed Jan 26 2000 - 10:38:02 CST