Re: Oracle 8i Lite: a couple of questions

From: DriftWood <driftwood_at_thebeach.fla.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 22:51:14 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 07:17:15 -0800, David Aman <aman_at_interpath.com> wrote:

<snip>
>1) Is 8i Lite designed to run under Win 98, or is it Unix only?
Windows 95/98/NT/2000

>2) Is 8i Lite really a stand-alone database, or is there more to the
>story than that? It doesn't support PL/SQL, does it?
Yes and No, but it does support Java stored procedures & triggers.

>3) If the answers to the above are negative, is there an SQL database
>that is designed to run under Win98 (not NT)? I know that Access and
>FoxPro support and use SQL, but I am searching for an 'SQL-only'
>database. (Note: MySQL supports NT, mSQL supports Unix)

Personal Oracle is a full featured version of Oracle that is intended for stand-alone use (not Oracle Lite which as the name implies isn't all that big Oracle is). Oracle Lite does have a much smaller footprint that it's larger cousin which can be a big advantage if you can live with it... Received on Tue Jan 25 2000 - 16:51:14 CST