Re: JDBC 2.0 / JDK 1.2 Drivers for Oracle 8.0x (not Oracle 8i)

From: Jeffery Cann <Jeffery_Cann_at_mcgraw-hill.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:53:51 -0700

spradhan_at_csi.com wrote:

> Are there any JDK 1.2 / JDBC 2.0 compliant Oracle Thin drivers for
> Oracle 8.0x?

Not that I can tell.

> If there is no JDBC 2.0 compliant driver currently for Oracle 8.0x, are
> there any plans to have such a driver in the near future (1-2 months)?

I doubt it. Oracle probably would tell you to upgrade to 8.1.5 or 8.1.6.

> Better, yet does anyone know if Oracle plans to fix these issues with
> the Oracle 8.1.6 driver so that it can work with Oracle 8.0.x?

The 8.1.6 driver does work with 8.0.x. You just cannot use any of the JDBC 2.0 features. We use the 8.1.5 JDBC thin drivers against a 7.3.3 database and they work great using the JDBC 1.0 API. In fact, they work better and have fewer bugs than the JDBC 1.0 drivers that came with 7.3.3 or 7.3.4.

BTW - I was at Oracle Open World in November and asked about the scrollable cursor features in JDBC 2.0. As the Oracle server does support scrollable cursors, the thin-driver spoofs it. This means that all the cursor scrolling happens not in the database engine, but in your application. This may not be a problem for your application but it is a noteworthy design consideration. Once I learned this fact from an Oracle JDBC developer, I was not too excited about the cool features in JDBC 2.0 because most surround the scrollable cursor.

Jeff Received on Tue Jan 25 2000 - 13:53:51 CST