deadlock

From: Ben Grigsby <grigsby_at_inquiregroup.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:26:07 GMT

I am writing an app in VC6 accessing an Oracle 8i database using RogueWave's dbtools.

My problem is that I am trying to implement row-level locking in a distributed applicaition by declaring a cursor for update. It does lock the selected row, but any other processes that try to update the row simply hang forever until the row is unlocked.

What I need is a way for the other processes to timeout if they cannot get a lock for a given row.

I have tried a NOWAIT statement on the end of my select..for update statement, but it does not help.

Is there some setting in the database that I can change to prevent this deadlock? Received on Mon Jan 24 2000 - 16:26:07 CST