Slow Oracle 8.0.5 Unloads

From: <pimpwillow_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:58:08 GMT

We are running the standard version of Oracle 8.0.5.2.1. We have one database which we unload, massage the data a bit, and then load a slightly smaller number of rows into a second DSS database for data mining. We unload about 30 million rows and load about 22 million daily.

The unload takes longer than the direct path load (not parallel loads because we don't have the enterprise server). The unload takes 6 hours, the load 4 hours. These are done in sequence on the same 4-cpu Sun machine.

Anyone know why the unload would take longer than the load, which has to rebuild some pretty chunky indexes?

Is there anything that we can do to enhance the performance of these unloads? Loads?

Thanks,
Chris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jan 24 2000 - 14:58:08 CST