Re: Unusable Index problem

From: <pimpwillow_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:49:52 GMT

During a direct path load, the indexes for that table are dropped before the load and rebuilt after the load to get faster load times. This includes unique indexes too. If duplicated values are loaded in the unique index and an attempt to rebuild it is made, it becomes an unusable index.

I would check to see if you have any duplicate values in the unique index column. This is one way to do this:

select <id_col> from <table>
group by <id_col>
having count(1) > 1;

Two options:
Remove the unique index (not recommended) Do the regular, slower load, which keeps the index on and rejects the duplicates.

Hope it helps,
Chris

In article <38853D7A.9D04F357_at_citec.com.au>,   Jerome Chik <jerome.chik_at_citec.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering what would cause an index to be
unusable and how do I
> avoid this?
>
> It seems to happen after I do a data load with
sql*loader using a direct
> path method. Once the data is loaded, certain
indexes become unusable.

> Using a 8.1.5 database.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerome.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jan 24 2000 - 14:49:52 CST