Installation Instructions Oracle 8.1.5, RedHat 6.1

From: <steyaert_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:11:56 GMT

Since there seem to be SO MANY problems loading Oracle 8.1.5 on RedHat Linux 6.1, I figured I would publish my instructions. Now, there are a LOT of notes on these instructions. At the start you are expected to be logged in as root (these are cut from the full instructions for loading RedHat, MetroLink Motif Complete, Oracle and our own software.)

Notes:

  1. My ORACLE_HOME is /usr2/oracle
  2. My ORACLE_SID is fsc
  3. My database is placed in /usr2/oracle/dbs
  4. I create a 1GB database, with large space taken for rollback segments, etc. Your installation will probably want very different values.
  5. As you can tell, from near the front, I have the Oracle CD. If you are installing from files/filesystem, your initial directories will vary.
  6. I really don't know what I'm doing but have trudged along as our companies Oracle DBA for 8 years, so entropy has given me some knowledge!
  7. jre (at the start of the document) was renamed because just before these instructions start you FTP it from a system that limits files to 14 characters. The name in the first instructions should be changed to match your file.
  8. I have the installation instructions run the window manager mwm. (Motif Window Manager.) You should be able to do a similar thing using fvwm2 without any other changes.
  9. At the start, you should be in /usr/local, as root. The file that you un-tar should either be in the current directory, or you will need the full path.
  10. My oracle dba is oracle, with the password oracle1. Oracle uses bash as the default shell.

Here starts the instructions. If you have questions or suggestions, reply or just e-mail me. The funky character at the start are bullets in Word. Hopefully, they will still show you were lines separate, so I have not removed them on purpose.

Terry Steyaert
steyaert_at_my-deja.com

&#61623; tar –zxvf jre116v5.tgz
&#61623; ln –s jre116_v5 jre
&#61623; Place the Oracle 8.1.5 CD-ROM in the drive.
&#61623; mount /mnt/cdrom
&#61623; Press Left-ALT and F4 simultaneously. You should be at another login
prompt.
&#61623; Login as oracle, password oracle1
&#61623; ORACLE_SID=fsc;export ORACLE_SID
&#61623; ORACE_HOME=/usr2/oracle;export ORACLE_HOME
&#61623; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr2/oracle/lib;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
&#61623; xinit
&#61623; mwm &
&#61623; cd /mnt/cdrom/install/linux
&#61623; ./runIns.sh
&#61623; Next
&#61623; Next
&#61623; Base should be /usr2/oracle/8.1.5, OK
&#61623; dba
&#61623; Right click background
&#61623; Select New Window
&#61623; su
&#61623; /tmp/orainstall/orainstRoot.sh
&#61623; Re-select the GUI
&#61623; Retry
&#61623; Select Oracle 8i 8.1.5.0.0/Next
&#61623; Custom/Next
&#61623; Turn off Intermedia/Next
&#61623; Create DB Yes/Next
&#61623; Global DB Name fsc
&#61623; Global SID fsc/Next
&#61623; /usr2/oracle/dbs Next
&#61623; Protocol Box Next
&#61623; Install
&#61623; Goto the window that was created above and type:
&#61623; sh /usr2/oracle/root.sh
&#61623; OK
&#61623; Error regarding National Character Sets OK
&#61623; Custom Next
&#61623; OLTP Next
&#61623; 30 Next
&#61623; Shared server mode Next
&#61623; Turn off ALL options Next
&#61623; View Settings Next
&#61623; File Settings Next
&#61623; Select User
&#61623; Change size to 1000
&#61623; Change initial and next extents to 200
&#61623; Select Rollback
&#61623; Change size to 250
&#61623; Select Temp
&#61623; Change size to 100
&#61623; Next
&#61623; Change Redo log sizes to 5000
&#61623; Next
&#61623; Checkpoints Next
&#61623; Block Sizes
&#61623; TCPIP Default
&#61623; SGA Lower processes to 30
&#61623; Next
&#61623; File Trace Next
&#61623; Create DB Now Finish
&#61623; Proceed? Yes
&#61623; Take a nap.
&#61623; Completed OK OK
&#61623; Exit
&#61623; Confirm Yes
&#61623; Goto login window (the original window, not the one created above.
ALT-TAB will scroll through windows.)
&#61623; ./runIns.sh
&#61623; Next
&#61623; Next
&#61623; Select Programmer Next
&#61623; Custom Next
&#61623; Select Pro*C/C++
&#61623; Select SQL*Plus Next
&#61623; Install Yes
&#61623; OK several times on disk space error.
&#61623; Exit Yes
&#61623; vi /etc/oratab (Again, you will be in an editor, do not hit ENTER
unless prompted.)
&#61623; :$ENTER
&#61623; $rYESC
&#61623; :wqENTER

That should get you a database, and get you started. Good luck!

Terry

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jan 24 2000 - 09:11:56 CST